Monday, August 27, 2012

Minister's Minute from the September Issue of the Journal of Hope and Joy

I think at times we become too comfortable at church. We stop trying to figure out how to grow it, how to grow ourselves, how to bring people in and watch what happens when the Holy Spirit takes hold of someone. We end up worrying about the minutiae, the little things, that while they matter do not matter nearly as much as we end up saying they do. We get used to seeing the same faces, saying hello to the same people, doing the same things and that is that. We are comfortable and quite frankly it is nice. However, I remember the first time I was told that Jesus came to afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted. I took it as youth often do, with a hint of hope, knowing that there was much Jesus could still change. Jesus was a revolutionary, dying as revolutionaries did, upon a cross. Jesus walked into religious establishments and created havoc because Jesus was always more concerned with people than establishments. In fact, I am not sure Jesus cared for establishments at all. Often, I care too much for establishments, because they make me comfortable. I like to know what to expect when I come to church. I am a family man, and, I do not have time to figure out new things, or to have my ordered life thrown into chaos. However, the more I get to know Jesus, the more I discover he does not care about my order. I remember when I was a child, and I was telling someone my plans for my life. The person was older and wiser, as older people often are, and told me, "You want to hear God laugh, tell God your plans, Garrett." I did not get it then, but I get it now. God has a plan, and often times my plans do not matter to God. I write all of this to let you all know that God has plans for our church. Plans that we are not yet achieving. We have done much, and we have much more to do. God is going to keep growing us! God is causing me to grow as I further my education. You will notice a video camera set up in church on September 9. Several of my sermons will be recorded and sent to people in Chicago who will evaluate my preaching as part of my work toward a Doctorate in Ministry. Someone asked me, "Why are you doing that? You're already pretty good." God wants me to be better, to figure out new ways of preaching the good news of great joy that Jesus Christ is with us. As God grows me, we will all grow. God will give us the power to bring more people into our church. There are so many people without a church home, without a place to give God glory, honor and praise. They may not know it, but God is calling them here. For our size, we do more work in this community than any church of which I have ever heard! However, we must find more workers. We must grow our community. We must discover the people who feel like they do not belong. We must open our hearts to them as well, so that we can keep on with the good work God has given us to do. God will lead us to them, for we are never working on our own accord! God will empower us to work with other churches. From September 17-19 I will be the revivalist at Bethel AME's annual revival. This historic downtown church is the place where Martin Luther King, Jr. came first when he came into Albany. I am the first non-African-American minister to preach the revival there, which demonstrates how God is working to break down our barriers. God has just started with us! Do not get too comfortable church. Do not become stuck in the mire of tiny details. Our God is one of big plans and God is planning something that will take us, and Albany, by storm. Maybe you are ready, maybe you are not, but God is ready and a new thing is about to happen. Getting ready to ride the wave of the Holy Spirit, Garrett

No comments: