Monday, August 6, 2012

Minister's Minute from the August Issue of The Journal of Hope and Joy

I am late in writing this. I often am. It is not that I do not want to do something; it is that I do not want to do something that is pointless. So I asked someone what she would like to hear about if I was her minister. “I’d like to hear your hope for the church.” My first thought was that there was no way I could do that in this space. I have too much to say, too much to convey… but alas, if I cannot say it here perhaps it could not be said at all. First let me say that I am sure you each have your own hopes for our church. My hopes are not better or worse than yours, but they are mine. I hope to hear yours too. I hope that you share your hopes with others. I hope that as we talk about what we want to see happen at this church a fire is lit within us, the fire of the Holy Spirit, and our hopes may become realities. I hope that our church becomes a place of conversion, justice, mutual hospitality and community. At this moment, as I am writing this, that is my hope. Conversion means to me that lives are changed by the power of the gospel of Jesus the Christ. I hope and pray for changed lives in our church. I hope and pray that people meet this Jesus, and by the grace of God that they invite him into their lives. It is impossible to remain the same with Jesus in one’s life. The status quo will not do anymore, things that once seemed of monumental significance lose all meaning, and suddenly that which is important to God becomes important to the convert. Words are not enough for the convert, life must imitate the words and give the words life. Conversion means that the Spirit is moving and working in our midst. Justice means to me that the right things are done for the right reasons, and evil is actively battled. This world is full of evil and injustice. I hope and pray that First Presbyterian Church is a place where evil is not tolerated, where the good fight is fought, and where people are empowered by God to change the world as a people of love. I believe God’s justice is concerned with how the least of people is treated, and I hope that First Presbyterian Church becomes a place where the least of people feel they have a place and a friend in a chaotic and hostile world. Mutual hospitality means to me that people are excited about welcoming the stranger, and are gracious when being the stranger. I hope and pray for a church where all members shower guests with love, and go other places and accept with gratitude all the love that others give them. We know what it is like to have good guests in our homes, and we know how good hosts have treated us. Our church is a home, and all people are welcomed. When the welcome people receive is equal to the graciousness that God has received us then we will know we have succeeded, until then we work toward it, knowing that Jesus is empowering us to accomplish such a goal. Finally I hope our church becomes a place of community. Community means to me a place where people are supported. I hope and pray that people feel supported when they are members. Anyone who has 7 to 8 good friends in a church will almost never leave a church, why? Because they have a community of support that is there for them in their needs and their joys, but not only that! They also have people for whom they are present, they care for others, and people are most fully human when they exist with others and for others. There is still more! Our church is part of a wider community and we are needed to work within that community to ensure its success. Our success is Albany’s success, and Albany’s success is our success. So there it is. That is my hope for our church, conversion, justice, mutual hospitality and community. When I think and pray on what it means to be God’s hope and joy to each other and to the world I think on such things. We are headed in that direction and for that I am glad, but we are not yet there. However by God’s grace we will get there, I am sure of it. Riding the Wave of the Holy Spirit, Garrett

No comments: