Monday, February 1, 2010

Minister's Minute from February Issue of the Journal of Hope and Joy

I went to pick my son up from day care the other day. When he saw me he threw his head back and laughed like he just heard the best joke. Then he ran toward me smiling the whole time and it was then I realized that the laugh was for me. As he got closer he put out his arms and ran right between my legs grabbing onto one and hugging me with all his might. He looked up at me with a face full of satisfaction and I thought for a moment he was going to say, “Daddy I am so happy to see you”… he never did, at least not with words, but I pray to my God that the memory of him laughing and running up to me never leaves me. It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.
I had lunch with Doug McClure of the Salvation Army and David Blackwell of Mission Change recently. It was a good time. Each of us shared our joys of the ministry, our concerns, the ways we watch God at work, the miracles we see on a regular basis. Those two are incredible to be around because they love God and others so much they do not even seem to notice all the work they do. I once read that while faith makes all things possible, love makes them easy. Watching those two talk about planes going into Haiti, and mission trips being planned, and churches working together, and new social programs being implemented, and trying to get impoverished youth into a Christian camp I discovered the truth of that statement. Love does make things easy to do, because it makes all things worthwhile. As Doug talked about trying to raise money for kids who have never left Albany to go to a special camp where their lives could change David and I looked at each other. David said, “How much more do you need?” “$750.” I looked at David and said, “David, we can get that raised by next week right?” We agreed and told Doug he would have the money by the next week… it was then I knew with all that I am I was having lunch with friends God has given me, and I pray to my God that the memory of that moment never leaves me. It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.
Sometime last week I went to see some people in the hospital. As I spoke with one person in the waiting room outside the SICU she told me about a family in the waiting room that needed prayers. On the other side of the room was a sad looking family. I stared at them as I was told about their situation. A father and young son had been in a horrible car accident and taken to different hospitals. Neither was doing well. When they woke up their first question was about where the other one was, love is an incredible bond. I went to the family who gave me an update and then I asked if I could pray. Together we joined hands and I began to pray. As I prayed another woman came up and then broke into our circle of prayer. She just separated my hand from the woman’s I was holding and then grabbed onto our hands. After we finished the prayer I looked over at her and she said, “I figured that family needed all the prayer they could get so I joined in”… she was right, and I pray to my God that the memory of that moment never leaves me. It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.
Last Saturday a group of youth came from First Presbyterian Bainbridge to help feed the needy at the Saturday Samaritan Missions. There were maybe 20 kids here helping to move tables, and greet people, and feed the hungry. At one point I stood back and just watched. It was then I saw God. I saw God as a homeless person grateful for food. I saw God as a teenage girl from a different town grateful for a chance to serve. I saw God as members of different churches worked together believing that together we can do so much more than alone. For a moment I wondered if I would ever see God like that again… I am sure I will, but I pray to my God that the memory of that moment never leaves me. It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.
God offers a world so full of beauty, a life filled with surprise, and moments of inspiration to each of us with the express intent that we in turn offer the world what God has given us, joy! Go find your fuel for joy and let joy abound.
Riding the Wave of the Holy Spirit,
Garrett

No comments: