Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Prayer and Gratitude

Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. – Philippians 4:6 (NCV)

What do you worry about? Do you worry about things you need or things you want? When did you pray to God last for everything you need? Why is it important to give thanks while asking for what you need?

A friend asked me once why we should pray if God knows everything. It is a question I imagine we have all asked at some point. Maybe one of the reasons we do not pray more is the belief that if God knows everything we do not need to pray. God knows I am happy; I do not need to pray. God knows I am angry; I do not need to pray. God knows I am in pain; I do not need to pray. God knows what I need; I do not need to pray.
Maybe God does know all of these things, but do we? Do we truly know what makes us happy? Are the things that make us angry things that should make us angry? What is the root of our pain? Do we have any idea what we actually need? The problem with my friend’s question as to our need for prayer is that it centers on us as individuals and is by nature selfish. Prayer opens us to God the eternal forever, the Word, the alpha and omega. Prayer moves us beyond ourselves to discover our God in whose image we are made. Prayer is not done out of God’s need to be communicated with, but of our need to communicate with God, discover who God desires us to be and what we truly need!
Maybe that is why we are told to pray while always giving thanks. There is something about people who are grateful. Grateful for the moment regardless of circumstance. Grateful for a kind smile from a stranger. Grateful for another day with breath flowing through the lungs. Grateful for a merciful God who is by God’s very nature love. Such people always seem to have what they need.

Meister Eckhart once said, “If the only prayer you ever said in your whole life is ‘thank you,’ that would suffice.” Amen to that! Let us pray for everything we need, always giving thanks and perhaps all of our worry will disappear when we discover that somehow, we have everything we need!

With hope and joy,
Garrett

No comments: