Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Blessed Life

Then he said, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You address me as 'Teacher' and 'Master,' and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other's feet. I've laid down a pattern for you. What I've done, you do. I'm only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doesn't give orders to the employer. If you understand what I'm telling you, act like it—and live a blessed life.” – John 13:12-17 (The Message)

What does this say about Jesus? Have you washed anyone’s feet? What are other ways of serving others? Is Jesus concerned with the people around us? If so what does that say about how we are living?

I once heard a story about an astronomer who lived in an ancient time. He used to go out at night and observe the stars. One evening, as he wandered through the suburbs with his whole attention fixed on the sky, he accidently fell into a deep well. He whined and cried about his sores and bruises while yelling out for help. A neighbor ran to the well, and upon learning what had happened said, “Hey fellow, why in striving to pry into what is in heaven, do not you manage to see what is on earth?”

Jesus never lost sight of what was on earth! What a shame it is that we so often do. Often time it is good to remember the way Jesus lived. When he said, “I am the way and the truth and the life,” perhaps he didn’t mean it in a way we could stare into the heavens and wait for a life after death. Maybe he actually meant that the way he walked, the truth he spoke, and they life he lived were for us too, here on earth where our feet walk. “What I’ve done, you do. I’m only pointing out the obvious.” “If you understand what I’m telling you, act like it – and live a blessed life.” A blessed life, that sounds good.

With hope and joy,
Garrett

No comments: