Monday, August 2, 2010

The Fuel for Joy Project

One Sunday morning a couple of weeks I was about to leave for the church. It was my normal Sunday morning. Up to dress, drink some coffee, go over the sermon, get ready to go. Sometimes things become so normal to me I forget how precious the moment is, or could be if I just recognized it, but I suppose we all do that occasionally. I kissed my wife and son goodbye knowing that I would see them soon. Took the same way out I always do and thought nothing of the little footsteps following me.
I opened the door to go outside and closed just the storm door as I left. Langston stood at the door looking at me smiling, it still melts my heart to see that little smile directed at me. As I got into my car and started to pull out of the driveway I looked forward and there was my boy waving his little hands, and I could tell he was shouting out, “Daddy, daddy, daddy,” over and over again. I pray to my God the memory of that moment never leaves me, it has already been my fuel for joy in moments of despair.
God offers a world so full of beauty, a life filled with surprise, and moments of inspiration to each of us with the express intent that we in turn offer the world what God has given us, joy! The Fuel for Joy Project is an offer to each of us to look for joy in the world and share it with others. What is your joy? Let me know. Send your stories to garrett@1stpresalbany.org (or mail them to the church) and let’s start a journal, or maybe even a book full of stories, full of fuel for joy for all those in moments of despair.

No comments: