Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Minister's Minute from June Issue of the Journal of Hope and Joy

Here I am late at night, sitting in front of my computer feeling like an author dealing with a deadline. That happens sometimes with these “Minister’s Minutes.” The newsletter is ready to go out and all that is still needed is my part, and for the life of me I can’t think of anything. Melinda has gone to bed, but before she left me to my task she listened to me briefly complain about not having anything to write. I am both blessed and cursed with a wife who is often wiser than me. She looked at me without any pity (which is all I wanted) and said, “Why don’t you write about how we all want to be better people? Say something about how it is hard, and how we need to keep trying in the moment we have as opposed to thinking too far into the future.” Then she smiled, gave me a kiss and left.
I have no idea how to prove we all want to be better people, because there have been times each of us felt like we were fine the way we were. I have no idea if I can prove, or should even attempt to prove that we each want to be a better person, but I hope it is true. I hope that each of us can look deep inside ourselves and realize no matter how well we are put together that we can be better. I hope that the people we are now are not the people we will always be. I hope my faults, the small ones and the big ones, won’t always be. If grace is what grace is and work is what work is surely together grace and work can make me become a better person to myself, my friends, my family, and most assuredly my God.
Those who are Christians find inspiration to become better from the person of Jesus. In his humanity we see our lack of humanity, and there is something about his humanity that beckons us, that calls us to throw away our brokenness and lean forward into wholeness. Often the example of Jesus is too much though. We think to ourselves, “I am no Jesus, I am not even close and I never will be.” And so we leave it at that, no better than we were before because the goal seems so far away.
Of course should we lose hope when examining Jesus’ example we are poor students of scripture. It appears that God calls those who must become better. No one started off where they ended up. Many were called by God and said, “God you have the wrong person I can’t do this, I’m not good enough.” And it is as though God said, “You’re not good enough yet, but I’m not done with you.” Read some scripture if you don’t believe me. Read about Abraham and Sarah, read about Jacob and Moses, read about Sampson and David, read about Elijah and Jeremiah, read about a group of disciples who never seem to get it, and a man named Paul who once wrote, “Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?” but also had the wherewithal and faith to write right after that, “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” Why was Paul given hope that his wretchedness wasn’t the end of him when dealing with God? I am sure there were many reasons, but one from that old Sunday school song must have been at the forefront of his mind, “Jesus loves me this I know.”
The thing about being loved is that it makes us want to become better people. Maybe it has something to do with the people who love us, as though we want to become the person they think we can be. Melinda is right though, this is process and not some future we can just jump into. Each day we can become a little better when we let love guide us. I know this is true because I watch my wife. A couple of days ago I was trying to get Langston to say some words. Eventually I tried to get him to say “love.” “Langston, say ‘love,’” I said. He said, “Mommy,” and Melinda overheard him. When she went to bed tonight kissing me before she left, she went to sleep in his room since she knows she will miss him when she goes out of town to see a friend. For my little boy mommy is love, and therefore his mommy wants to become the best mommy she can be one day at a time. If we asked Jesus to say “love” I wonder if he might just say our name. Hmm, that makes me want to become the best me I can be one day at a time.

Riding the Wave of the Holy Spirit,
Garrett

1 comment:

Obie Holmen said...

You raise the question "Why was Paul given hope that his wretchedness wasn’t the end of him when dealing with God?"

This is a major theme of my recent novel entitled A Wretched Man, a novel of Paul the apostle. Check it out at www.awretchedman.com