Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Minister's Minute from March Issue of the Journal of Hope and Joy

Sometimes people come up to me and have a great idea. I know it is great because they tell me, “Hey, this idea is great!” And often it is a great idea. We all have great ideas at some point. Perhaps they come to us in the darkness of the night. Our hearts and minds are unable to be still because deep within us something is stirring, a great idea begging to be found out, itching to be discovered, hoping to be grasped. Other times they come to us unexpectedly, out of the blue. Maybe while driving down a lonesome highway, and suddenly there it is, a great idea. Or while out strolling around a lake, or down some street, or anywhere else really, and then like a flash of lightning we are overtaken with some great idea.
I love it when people come up to me with their great ideas. “Pastor,” one may say, “I have a great idea!”
“Really? What is it?” And then the great idea is explained to me. Everyone’s great ideas ooze with love and promise, overflow with hope and joy. I have heard great ideas discussed as people explain how our church could become greater yet should we begin doing… well, any number of things. Each person who has come to me with a great idea has been excited to share it with me, and I have been excited to hear what God has put on each of his or her hearts.
I always say the same thing to people who come to me with great ideas, “Make it happen!” It is then I discover something. There are two kinds of people with great ideas. Those who only want to share them, and those who want to make them become a reality. I do not know how many great ideas have died after they left someone’s mouth, but it is always a shame to hear words of promise come crashing onto the floor. It saddens me each time I say, “Make it happen!” and a look of concern goes over someone’s face. We are incredible creatures who can say so much with our faces, using no words at all. I have seen faces say to me, “Wait, I didn’t mean me.” Or, “No I don’t have the time for that, I meant that you should do that.” Or, “I don’t even know where to start, so I won’t.” Or faces that only say, “I am afraid.”
However, should God put onto your heart a great idea never let it go! It is yours, it is your calling, your vocation, your baby that you must nurture and allow to grow into adulthood. The only one who will stand in the way of your great idea becoming a reality is you. Remember that last time you had a great idea? Do you recall the joy that surged through your being as you considered the implications of seeing your great idea realized? That was none other than the Holy Spirit moving within you, letting you share in the joy of God while telling you that you have a reason to be here at this point in time.
Have you let a good idea fall to the wayside? Have you considered the work too hard? Have you let the flame of potential burnout within? I do not care what reasons we each possess that provide us the explanations for why we do not carry forth our great ideas. Reasons for inaction are as worthless as ideas that never bear fruit.
The moment we were created in the heart of God, choirs of angels burst forth songs of praise to the glory of God, for each of us was created with all of God’s glory pouring forth. We are fearfully and wonderfully made! We are miracles of grace and love. There are not enough words in all languages of humankind to explain the glory of our creation, and depth of God’s love for us. We cannot imagine our potential when the Spirit of God moves within us. The doubt we have in ourselves is evil at work in the world, telling us we are much less than we are.
If you have a great idea, make it happen! You have no idea the power of the flame that grows within you, for it is the power of God at work in the world. You have simply been chosen as the vessel for God’s work to be done. Rejoice in the opportunity and do not let it pass. You never know, your idea may change the world through the power of the Gospel of Jesus the Christ! Make it happen!
Riding the Wave of the Holy Spirit,
Garrett

No comments: