Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Time For Fellowship

When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home. – John 19:26-27 (NRSV)

Why do you think Jesus wanted to make sure these two had someone to care for them before he died? What may have been going through his mother’s mind? What about the beloved disciple’s mind? This is one of the last words Jesus spoke, what does it say about how we should live?

The following is a story about Marian Anderson that I have heard a couple of times.
Marian Anderson, an African-American singer who helped break down the walls of race, made her debut at Carnegie Hall, demonstrating to all a voice that is still considered one of the best ever today. At the end of the concert she sang “Ave Maria,” and people called her back for an encore, and then another, and then another, and she finally ended by singing, “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen.” Her mother was sitting in the audience weeping. The person next to her asked her why she was crying when her daughter was doing so well, and she responded, “I’m crying for joy.”
She then recalled a moment when Marian was a girl saying, “I was working in a kitchen, my hands were burned, my face scalded, it was hard, but I did it so my daughter could get an education. I remember one day Marian came to me and said, ‘Mother, I don’t want you working like this.’ And I looked down at her and said, ‘Honey I don’t mind, I’m doing it for you and I expect great things from you.’”
Years later someone asked Marian Anderson what the happiest moment of her life was. “Was it when you made that debut in Carnegie Hall?” “No it wasn’t then.” “Was it the time you stood before the kings and queens of Europe?” “No it wasn’t then.” “Was it the moment in Finland when it was declared that the roof was too low for a voice such as yours?” “No it wasn’t then.” “Was it when Toscanini said that a voice like yours comes only once in a century?” “No it wasn’t then.” “What was it then Miss Anderson?” “The happiest moment in my life was the moment that I could say, ‘Mother, you can stop working now.’”

Jesus knew that no one could get anywhere by himself or herself. Each one of us has made it as far as we have because of hundreds, maybe even thousands of other people who have helped us along the way. People were not meant to be alone and cannot go through life alone. Knowing that people need fellowship, Jesus made sure that his mother and his beloved disciple received fellowship in each other. We now must become fellows to each other, and discover friends in others; it is the only way we can make it all!

With hope and joy,
Garrett

No comments: