Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Using God's Gift

This is why I remind you to keep using the gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. Now let it grow, as a small flame grows into a fire. – 2 Timothy 1:6 (NCV)

What gift has God given you? How have you nurtured that gift? Is your gift a small flame or is it a large fire, or maybe on the way to becoming a large fire? What can you do to make that flame bigger?

Right after my son was born I stopped going to the gym. I found every excuse not to go; exhaustion, not wanting to miss moments with him, exhaustion, work I needed to do, exhaustion…
Finally, two months later, I decided it was time to go back to the gym. I started to do the same workout I did before. I couldn’t finish the first set of anything. I didn’t even finish half of the workout. The next day I could barely move.
Two months away from the gym and I had lost most of my strength. The only reason I did not go was because I found excuses not to go when I had all the opportunities.
My mother use to say to me, “If you don’t use it you will lose it.” This is true of the gym evidently, I can’t speak Spanish anymore, and I’ve forgotten more chemistry than most will ever learn. This is the same of God’s gifts to us, if we don’t use them we lose them!

In the parable of the talents, Jesus said that the master took away the talent of the servant who buried it and did not use it. We have to use our talents and our gifts and let them grow into a mighty flame! Pray that today we discover our gift and keep using it so that we might hear Jesus say to us, “Well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your master!”

With hope and joy,
Garrett

No comments: