Monday, February 2, 2009

February Minister's Minute in Journal of Hope and Joy

My son smiled at me for the first time recently.  Sure he has smiled before, but it was generally the prelude to a moment where he fills the immediate area with gas.  This time he looked right at me and smiled.  No simple smile, but a large smile open mouth and all, the kind of smile where you wait for a second because you are just sure a laugh is going to follow soon… the laugh never came but I pray to my God the memory of that smile never leaves me.  It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.

Several weeks ago I was driving on a very rural highway to go to a conference.  I emphasize the “rural” because even after a year I am getting use to some of it.  I was on the highway for maybe about 40 minutes, and the whole while only three other vehicles passed me going the other way.  Two rusted pickups and a tractor.  I laughed as the tractor passed me and I considered my situation, God works in mysterious ways.  But the real interesting thing about the day was its splendor.  It could have been the clearest day I had ever witnessed.  Almost as though individual rays of sunshine could be differentiated from one another, splashing us all with its warmth and glory.  The sky was a crystal clear of indescribable proportions and the type of blue that one thinks of when one thinks of perfect.  This rural highway was saturated with the variety of landscape which seemed the perfect compliment to the majesty of the weather.  Fields of the brightest and most spectacular greens, rows of trees which played with the light as the wind passed through their branches, next a pond surrounded by foliage the likes of which I have never seen.  At one point I could not stand passing by such beauty while sitting alone in my car, so I pulled over and got out.  I leaned against the hood and stared, I just stared.  I half expected God to show up right then and lean next to me, not saying a thing just staring with me… God never came, at least not in person, but I pray to my God the memory of that moment never leaves me.  It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.

I went to the hospital where sister Martha Clark spent her last days.  At 94 years old she lived one wonderful life.  I came into the room, and could tell that she would not recognize me because she did not have her glasses on.  I said, “Martha Clark, it’s Garrett Andrew!”  Immediately she looked over with a smile bigger than most patients ever give.  She spoke with joy about her life, she had a good one, and she told me she could not wait to see her husband and daughter again.  We prayed together, and before I left she put her arms out wide and demanded a hug, she gave a good one.  I think I knew it would be the last one… it was, but it was perfect and I pray to my God the memory of that moment never leaves me.  It has already been my fuel for joy in moments of need.

Last Sunday the service went well.  It was one of those days where I thought to myself, “We done and had church today.”  Afterwards a family asked me to pray with them.  We prayed in the back of the sanctuary around everyone else, the Spirit and tears moved in our midst.  After the prayer another couple came up to me and said the service was special to them.  The solo that day moved them, the love in the church touched them, and they felt God while there.  Two young men shared with me their achievements in sports and I was excited for them.  A visitor took my hand and looked at me intently and said, “I needed that worship today, I have been looking for hope.”  I thank my God for moments like these after worship, and pray that they never cease.  They always end up as my fuel for joy in moments of need.

What is your fuel for joy in moments of need?  All around us there is reason for joy.  The cynic would point out that there is also reason for despair, but I would counter there are only reasons to have people who offer fuel for joy so that joy abounds.  To those who are hurting and in need, we must become their fuel for joy!  God offers a world so full of beauty, a life filled with surprise, and moments of inspiration to each of us with the express intent that we in turn offer the world what God has given, joy!

Riding the Wave of the Holy Spirit,

Garrett

No comments: