Tuesday, January 13, 2009

True Love

But Ruth said, “Don't beg me to leave you or to stop following you. Where you go, I will go. Where you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.  And where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. I ask the Lord to punish me terribly if I do not keep this promise: Not even death will separate us.” – Ruth 1: 16-17 (NCV)

 

What kind of love do you see in the verse above?  Have you ever felt so strongly about someone other than yourself?  Have you ever considered that this might be how God feels about you?  How does having such love for a person make your life worth the living?

 

The following story was e-mailed to me:

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his

80's arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry.

The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health.  He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.  He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

I was surprised, and asked him, “And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?”

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, “She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is.”

 

Nothing can stop true love!  That means nothing can stop God from loving you.  Our lives become all the more worth living when true love is a part of them.  Not the true love of romance novels, but the true love that accepts all that is and loves anyway.  Pray today that you are blessed enough to give such love.

With hope and joy,

Garrett

1 comment:

Bruce Pittman said...

Hey Garrett,
Great story. The power of God's love is incredible. Even when we don't recognize Him, He is still there - loving us thru it all.

bruce pittman